Specific Tactics for Fashion Brands to use to improve their website design and digital marketing net new customer acquisition.
I spoke to the Nashville Fashion Alliance, and showed owners and marketers of several emerging fashion brands and small businesses the data relevant to fashion industry websites and digital marketing strategies.
In doing my research specific to the fashion industry, I came across the following data driven insights:
- 70%-80% of all website traffic to fashion brand websites is on mobile devices. This is significant, because the average website gets less than 40% of it's traffic from mobile devices.
The main things fashion brands can do to optimize their websites for mobile devices are:
1. Have a call to action to sign up for your email list at the very tip top of your main navigation bar.
2. Include any brick and mortar retail locations and/or information about a loyalty program in the far right of your navigation. Use icons to indicate these items.
3. Use most of your hero space real estate to showcase your top product in a clean static image.
4. Have a headline and a call to action (CTA) button before the user has to scroll that takes the user to your shop page.
5. Fashion brands that take the time to build static webpages in their main navigation like About Us and Our Story, convert at a 200% better rate than those that don't. WOW. This means users really care about WHO they're buying from, and the story behind it.
The main things fashion brands can do from a low cost-per-audience-attention / low cost per conversion digital marketing standpoint are:
1. Run Google Adwords Express Ads - Google Adwords Express Ads are really, really good at generating phone call leads for your business. When you're trying to grow a brand from unknown into something larger and generate sales, don't be "too good for phone calls." Take this time to build relationships with people who are interested in your products and are taking the time to call you to get more information.
Google Adwords Express automatically tracks cost per phone call generated for you. I'm a big fan based on the data.
Also, it allows you to set a geographic radius around your ads, generate traffic to a specific landing page on your site, and it shows 80-90% of the time on mobile devices, which is perfectly in line with the first data point in this post about how users find fashion websites via mobile phones ~80% of the time.
2. Fashion Brands get 25% more web traffic from Instagram specifically when they increase their post frequency from daily to 2x-3x per day.
This is significant because overall, websites don't get THAT much more traffic by increasing post frequency from 1 per day, but in the Fashion Industry specifically, they do. SIGNIFICANT DATA POINT.
3. Pinterest is still driving 5% of web traffic to Fashion Brands on average, which is far more than any other industry.
4. Audience Crossover Content Partners - Bloggers that believe that your content will be relatable to their audience and be willing to link back to you. This efforts pay off in the form of web traffic increases, based on the data.
5. Facebook Boosted Posts are the biggest missed opportunities. Fashion brands are taking the time to post frequently on Facebook, but not spending an extra $5 per post to put their great content in front of new, interested potential customers or media outlets via job title targeting, that don't know who they are yet, but need to.
Following all of this data driven digital strategy advice, will certainly help you grow your ecommerce revenue if you stay committed.