This video tutorial shows FreeBSD 11.1 installation with KDE Desktop Environment on Oracle VirtualBox step by step. This tutorial is also helpful to install FreeBSD 11.1 on physical computer or laptop hardware. We also install VirtualBox Guest Additions on FreeBSD 11 for better performance and usability features: Automatic Resizing Guest Display, Shared Folder, Seamless Mode and Shared Clipboard, Improved Performance and Drag and Drop.
1- Create Virtual Machine on Oracle VirtualBox
2- Start FreeBSD 11.1 Installation
3- Install Xorg and KDE Desktop
4- Install VirtualBox Guest Additions on FreeBSD 11.1
5- Test Guest Additions Features: Automatic Resizing Guest Display and Shared Clipboard
FreeBSD 11.1 New Features and Improvements
- Clang, LLVM, LLD, LLDB, and libc++ have been updated to version 4.0.0.
- Many third-party (contributed) software updates, such as the Elf Tool Chain, ACPICA, libarchive, ntpd, unbound, and more.
- Support for blacklistd has been added to OpenSSH.
- The zfsbootcfg utility has been added, providing one-time boot.config-style options for zfsboot.
- The efivar utility has been added, providing an interface to manage UEFI variables.
- Support for Microsoft Hyper-V Generation 2 virtual machines has been added.
- The ena driver has been added, providing support for "next generation" Enhanced Networking on the Amazon EC2 platform.
- The NFS client now supports the Amazon Elastic File System (EFS).
- The EFI loader can now access remote files via TFTP in addition to NFS as a runtime configuration option.
- ZFS now stores compressed data in cache, improving cache hit rates and performance.
- Several updates to provide build reproducibility.
FreeBSD Website: https://www.freebsd.org/
Download FreeBSD 11.1 ISO: https://www.freebsd.org/where.html
What is KDE Desktop?
The KDE Community is an international technology team dedicated to creating a free and user-friendly computing experience, offering an advanced graphical desktop, a wide variety of applications for communication, work, education and entertainment and a platform to easily build new applications upon. In this regard, the resources provided by KDE make it a central development hub and home for many popular applications and projects like Calligra Suite, Krita, digiKam, and many others.
KDE Website: https://www.kde.org/
Hope you found it informative and useful. Any questions or comments are welcomed.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THE CHANNEL
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/SysAdminsHowto/
Linux Video Tutorials: https://linux-video-tutorials.blogspot.com/
FreeBSD 11.1 Installation with KDE Desktop on VirtualBox Video: https://youtu.be/CQkZnYLajW0